Sunday, January 11, 2009

Soccer Mom- Review

My daughter bought the movie Soccer Mom with some of her Christmas money. She really desired to see this movie because it stars Emily Osment, who plays Lilly Truscott on Hannah Montana. I reluctantly agreed to watch it with my daughter even though this movie did not appeal to me and soccer bores me.

About this Movie:

A soccer team of 14 year old girls can not win a game. Their coach is transferred to another city for his job. He tells the girls that he knows the world famous soccer great Lorenzo Vincenzo and he has agreed to be their coach.

Becca's father was her soccer coach before he died. She had intended to quit the team with her old coach, before the announcement that Vincenzo would be the new coach, but is now excited about playing again. Arrangements are made for Becca's mother, Wendy, to greet the new coach and bring him to meet the girls. Come to find out, Vincenzo only told their old coach that he would coach the girls to get rid of the nuisance of a coach. Wendy decides to dress up and masquerade as Vincenzo so Becca will not be disappointed again.

This movie is a combination of The Bad News Bears, Mrs. Doubtfire, and Just One of the Guys.


What I liked about this Movie:


This movie does teach great life lessons about practicing and believing in yourself. It does so without being overly preachy or self righteous. This movie did not take itself too serious and it does have some funny scenes with the mom trying to be a guy.

Overall the characters were likable in this movie. The acting was alright for a movie geared to pre-teens. My seven year old daughter gave this movie a thumb up.

What I did not Like:

This movie was produced by the Ladies Home Journal but they appeared to copy the plot of several old Disney movies. This was simply a retread of better movies like The Bad News Bears and Little Giants. They even borrowed the Disney standard of using a one parent home (Why does every Disney live action movie have to have a dead parent?)

It does have a scene where Wendy, who is dressed as Vincenzo is kissed by one of the other girl's mother. There is also a discussion of how her friend is not gay even though she had assumed he was because he is a hair dresser. This movie could cause discussions that families may not be prepared to discuss.

I did mention that this movie was about soccer? right? SNOOZE!

My Review:

This movie was better than I thought it would be. I went in with really low expectations and it was better than I projected. I did not fall asleep or want to pop my eyeballs out with a spoon (like with High School Musical series). Now it was not good but it was not horrible.

My Grade: C-
My Daughter's Grade: B+

Here is what other reviews have to say:

IMDB User Rating: 5.0 out of 10.0
Common Sense Review: 3 out 5 stars
Tribune (Texas Newspaper): 2 Thumbs UP
Real Movie News: 3.5 Stars out of 5.0
Film Bug: 4 stars out of 5.0

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello! :)

Anonymous said...

r you freakin kidding me that was the best movie EVER! my best friend that goes to my school played in it cuz her aunt asked her to play one of the soccer players...her aounts name is missi pyle...shes a lucky girl

Desiree Monrial said...

This movie was the best movie ever it was my all time favorite movie I loved the way Lorenzo Vincenzo the soccer player was acting in this movie he’s so funny.

Desiree Monrial said...

Lorenzo Vincenzo was an Italian Soccer Player he was so funny in the movie 🍿!