Friday, April 28, 2006

You Can't Handle the Truth ... About Movie Quotes

A year ago, my friends and I were excited to discover that the American Film Institute (AFI) released it’s list of Top 100 Movie Quotes. We downloaded the pdf and were quick to discover that we had not seen many of the movies. What really disturbed us was that many of the quotes listed, were not, in our humble opinion, quotes that are part of the country’s consciousness, our national lexicon.

We cried “foul, foul” and set off on our own journey to find, list and categorize what we believe to be the real Greatest Movie Quotes of All Time.

The first problem is that AFI picked movies that are not known by the mass populous. If local movie lovers, cinemaphiles, have not seen the movie, nor heard the quote, then the movie shouldn’t be on the list. In fact, just because it is a classic does not necessary grant it automatic placement on the movie quote list. A person may not have seen “Gone with the Wind,” but everyone has head the quote: “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn.” But how many have seen the movies “Grand Hotel,” “Now Voyager,” or “Little Caesar?” How many of us would recognize a quote from these movies. We would not.

Here at INCONCEIVABLE, we are, with your help, composing our own list of movie quotes. We invite you to submit your favorite movie quotes to us. If it is a most “Excellent” quote then it forever be added to the List of Greatest Movie Quotes of All Time.

Send us your poor, huddled movie quotes, yearning to be free.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Granny Geek posted this on Simple Thoughts about "Inconceivable!"

Granny Geek said...
And here's your second post! May I nominate the quote from the opening scene in "Patton?"

Ron Davis said...

From "Brazil" by Terri Gilliam, this quote by rogue heating engineer Harry Tuttle (played by Robert DeNiro):

"I came into this game for adventure -- go anywhere, travel light, get in, get out, wherever there's trouble, a man alone. Now they've got the whole country sectioned of and you can't move without a form. I'm the last of a breed."

Anonymous said...

I was born a poor black child...
Navin R. Johnson (Steve Martin)
The Jerk

thinkingthings said...

I was going to add "The new phonebook is here, the new phonebook is here!" also from The Jerk, but since that movie, in it's absurd excellence, is already represented....

"Everything's jello and pudding with you, dad" and "Leave 'I don't know' in the waiting room with the magazines" from Ordinary People

Anonymous said...

"Scruples? No, I don't know what they are. But it's a safe bet that if you've got 'em, they probably belong to someone else."

Addie Pray (Tatum O'Neal), speaking to her con-man father (Ryan O'Neal) in "Paper Moon"

Filmed in St. Joseph, Mo., by the way!

Anonymous said...

"Snakes. Why did it have to be snakes? I hate snakes."

Indiana Jones

Anonymous said...

From the scariest movie I wasn't allowed to see...

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!"


Soylent Green (1973)

admin said...

(The following comes to us via email to Fat Jack from MC at Entertain Me.)

You made a time machine – out of a DeLorean?! - Back to the Future

Leia: Why, you stuck up, half-witted, scruffy-looking
nerf-herder.
Han Solo: Who's scruffy-looking? - The Empire Strikes Back

Luke: I won't fail you. I'm not afraid.
Yoda: You will be. You will be. - The Empire Strikes
Back

Ed McDonnough: This ain't family life!
H.I.: Well... it sure ain't "Ozzie and Harriet.” -
Raising Arizona

Edwina’s insides were a rocky place where my seed
could find no purchase. - Raising Arizona

You see, this profession is filled to the brim with
unrealistic motherfuckers. Motherfuckers who thought
their ass would age like wine. If you mean it turns to
vinegar, it does. If you mean it gets better with age,
it don’t. - Pulp Fiction

That’s a pretty fucking good milkshake. I don’t know
if it’s worth five dollars but it’s pretty fucking
good. - Pulp Fiction

I’m prepared to scour the the Earth for that
motherfucker. If Butch goes to Indochina, I want a
nigger waiting in a bowl of rice ready to pop a cap in
his ass. - Pulp Fiction

Are you calling me on the cellular phone? I don’t know
you. Who is this? Don’t come here, I’m hanging up the
phone! Prank caller, prank caller! - Pulp Fiction

Jimmie: I can’t believe this is the same car.
The Wolf: Well, let’s not start sucking each other’s
dicks just yet. - Pulp Fiction

Superman: Easy, miss. I’ve got you.
Lois Lane: You, you’ve got me? Who’s got you? -
Superman

Kneel before Zod! - Superman II

Excuse me, General, would you care to step outside? -
Superman II

And I guess that was your accomplice in the
woodchipper? - Fargo

It’s true what they say: Cops and women don’t mix.
It’s like eating a spoonful of Drano, sure it’ll clean
you out, but it’ll leave you hollow inside. - The
Naked Gun

Doctors say that Nordberg has a 50 - 50 chance of
living, though there’s only a 10 percent chance of
that. - The Naked Gun

The truth hurts doesn’t it, Hapsburg? Oh, sure maybe
not as much as jumping on a bike with the seat
missing, but it hurts. - The Naked Gun 2 1/2

I love being single. I haven’t this much sex since I
was a boy scout leader! - The Naked Gun 2 1/2

Just when I thought you couldn’t get any dumber, you
go and do something like this... and totally redeem
yourself! - Dumb and Dumber

Harry: I expected the Rocky Mountains to be a little
rockier than this.
Lloyd: I was thinking the same thing. That John
Denver’s full of shit, man. - Dumb and Dumber

Striker, listen, and you listen close: flying a plane
is no different than riding a bicycle, just a lot
harder to put baseball cards in the spokes. - Airplane

There’s no reason to become alarmed, and we hope
you’ll enjoy the rest of your flight. By the way, is
there anyone on board who knows how to fly a plane? -
Airplane

admin said...

Quotographers: All the quotes, up to this point, have been added to our list and are being compiled. Be patient with us.