Monday, July 31, 2006

Mini-Review: "MirrorMask

Review by Fat Jack
My Rating: 1 star out of 5















Now available on DVD

Rated PG

Directed by:
David McKean
Starring: Stephanie Leonidas and Rob Bryndon

Rotten Tomatoes:
51% rotten
Netflix: 3.3 stars out of 5
IMDb: 7.3 stars out of 10
Roger Ebert: 2 stars out of 4

As a rule I love the strange, artistic and surreal to the point that I can endure a mildly muddled story plot. But MirrorMask goes so far beyond muddled, that it allows the artistic creativity to take over like a rampant strawberry patch. It is pretty and sweet and makes a good dessert, but one can only stand so much. I don’t want a yard full of strawberries nor do I want my movies so expressive in visual effects that the script is nothing more than a scribbled-on cocktail napkin. (Watch the trailer and visit the official site.)

JOANNA: “All those kids in there want to run away and join the circus.”
HELENA: “Great, they can have my life. I want to run away and join real life.”

VALENTINE: “I'm an important person you see. I have a tower, a wonderful tower it was, tall and grand.”

HELENA: “If I tell you something weird... will you think I'm crazy?”
VALENTINE: “Yes. I expect so.”

No comments: