Thursday, July 13, 2006

Mini-Review: "Nacho Libre"

Review by Fat Jack
My Rating: 3 stars out of 5




















Now in Theatres
Rated PG
Directed by: Jared Hess
Starring: Jack Black, Ana de la Reguera, and Hector Jimenez.

Rotten Tomatoes: 35% rotten
IMDb: 5.9 stars out of 10
Roger Ebert: 1.5 stars out of 4
Entertain Me: B

Think back to Christopher Guest, writer and director of the hilarious mockumentary, “Best In Show,” where he hit comedic gold. “Best in Show” was it. A near perfect rendition of what a mockumentary should be. He wrote and directed several others including “A Mighty Wind,” and “Waiting for Guffman,” and while these were okay, they just weren’t the Best in Show.

The same has proven true with director Jared Hess and actor Jack Black. “Nacho Libre” is fine, even funny in parts. But it is missing something. Black’s performance, too, seems a bit catawampus. Fat guy in tights is funny, but it only travels so far. The movie isn’t horrible by any means. It has some funny bits, but those are not enough to carry the film. It’s just not dynamite.


NACHO: “They think I do not know a buttload of crap about the Gospel, but I do!”

CHANCH: “Here, take this, my mother gave it to me. It was her lucky machete..”

NACHO: “...but my life is good. Really good! I get to wake up every morning at 5am and make some soup. It’s the best! I love it! I get to lay in a bed by myself all of my life. It’s fantastic!.”

No comments: