Saturday, July 22, 2006

Review: "Monster House"

Review by Fat Jack
My Rating 4 stars out of 5














Now in Theaters
Rated PG
Directed by: Gil Kenan
Voice Talents: Steve Buscemi, Maggie Gyllenhaal, Jason Lee, Mitchel Musso, Sam Lerner, and Spencer Locke

Rotten Tomatoes: 70% fresh
Netflix: 4.3 stars out of 5
IMDb: 7.2 stars out of 10
Richard Roeper: 3.5 stars out of 4

(This is not a G rated film; it is very PG. If you have a child who is very young, has delicate sensibilities, or is prone to nightmares then be sure to screen it first to make sure it is appropriate for your youngster.)

The House of Jack does love a scary yarn, which of course eliminates many movies during daylight hours as our home has young eyes and ears. When I first saw the trailer, I started prepping my 6-year-old daughter. She likes to be scared if she is in a safe environment. We talked about this movie at length before seeing it. I made sure she saw the trailers multiple times before taking her. She was ready and excited.

Director Gil Kenan makes a nice story that weighs in at a mere 80 minutes. The story is crisp, intense at times and funny. Now there is a bit of puberty humor, but the tween characters who it is aimed at don’t quite understand it, preserving their childhood if not for a few seconds.

The house is scary and when it comes to life, it really pops off screen. This is being debuted in 3-D in limited areas. I’m glad we choose the traditional theater as it was real enough for my daughter. During the stronger moments, she reached over and put my arm across her chest, clinging to it like a monkey. I asked her if she was scared and she bravely told me “No” but she still kept use of my arm.

In the end, the issue with the house is resolved, allowing our youngsters to go home with a sense of relief. My daughter informed me that she had previously had a nightmare where our home had come alive, but she assured me that wouldn’t happen to our house. No one has ever died in our house. She smiled during the whole movie and loved every scary minute of it. She’s even sleeping well tonight … in my bed … with her teddy … and the cat … and the lights on. That is what scary movies are supposed to do. That’s part of the fun.

ZEE (the babysitter): “What are you dweebs doing?”
CHOWDER: “Oh nothing it’s just that the house just tried to eat us!”
ZEE: [Pause] “No more Mountain Dew.”

JENNY: [waves flashlight at chandelier] “Look! That must be its uvula.”
CHOWDER: Oh, so it’s a girl house.”

DJ: “We have to fight back.”
CHOWDER: Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. I’m not going inside that house.”
JENNY: I say it’s worth a shot.”
CHOWDER: [quickly] Yes I agree. Let’s do it.”

No comments: